The term trailing spouse(or in my case GF) may not be familiar to most of you but it usually refers to a significant other who follows their loved one to their current location.
So while the job Architecture job situation here in Zurich is actually pretty good(a friend of mine practically got offered a job with out sending 1 single portfolio-he spoke the local language and studied here though) there are some things you should keep in mind before heading over.
These are the things I have struggled with on the job hunt.
- German speakers will get preference(not nessisarily Germans though)
- They generally use ArchiCAD
- Mac's are very popular here
- Internships are generally reserved for people on their year out as you get paid per completed semester.
- Everyone and their granny speaks really good English so it's not that much of a "plus" here.
I'm sure I could write an epic paragraph or two to try and justify why I'm still jobless, but for now I think this will do. Also I might use this time for actually sending applications.